Monday, September 21, 2015

Historical Sew Monthly #9: Brown

Well, I had some awesome ideas for this month's challenge, but I couldn't make my current large project (a corset) fit in with it. I thought about flossing in brown to make it work, but looking at all those beautiful colorful embroidery flosses at the store, brown just seemed so.....boring. I choose blue instead.

So, I ditched that idea, but instead came up with something easy instead! I wanted something I could work on in the car for the road trip last weekend, but I ended up completing it upon arrival instead of en route. Anyway, it's just the right length, and I really like the fitted waistband. I was worried it would be too big, but over my dress and petticoats it works fine.




What the item is: Pinner Apron

The Challenge: Brown

Fabric: 100% cotton fabric, about 2 yards

Pattern: Sewing Academy pattern, with the bib drafted myself.

Year: Mid-19th Century

Notions: Thread, 2 bone buttons

How historically accurate is it? Having not really done any research in this area, I only know that I didn't use any particularly modern techniques. Since no research has been done, let's say 70%, although it's basic enough that it could be 100% and I wouldn't know. I don't think the print is perfectly accurate.

Hours to complete: About 8, since I handsewed the entire thing.

First worn: Not yet

Total cost: $0, all from stash.

No comments:

Post a Comment