Monday, August 10, 2015

HSM #8: Heirlooms and Heritage

This has to be the lamest thing I've ever entered in the Historical Sew Monthly challenges. I had such fantastic plans that involved so much family history; what happened?

It turns out my embroidery skills are severely lacking. Plus, 18th century pockets are not at the top of the list of things I need before a certain event coming up. *Cries* I wanted to make them so badly, but embroidery is not my forte. I've tried it. It's okay.

So, here are my lame split drawers, using a bone button from my stash that came from great great Grandma.

There is a more period correct way to do laundry markings, but I am personally not picky about something like laundry markings.


I had planned on doing 3 tucks, but....something happened.

What the item is: Split drawers

The Challenge: Heirlooms and Heritage

Fabric: 1 1/2 yards muslin


Pattern: from the Sewing Academy


Year: 1860's, ish.


Notions: Bone button, thread


How historically accurate is it? 80%, just a random number, but close enough to originals and definitely passes the "original cast recognizable".


Hours to complete: Around 6. More than it should have, but I handsewed a lot of it, just so I could watch North and South at the same time. :)


First worn: Not yet


Total cost: Under $5



Coming Up: Dog Leg Closure Tutorial, the easy way.

2 comments:

  1. Looks great! The last time I tried to make drawers I sewed all of the tucks in only to realize I have two left legs sewn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, done that once, twice, maybe a dozen times? My first pair of split drawers, I didn't think to keep one particular side to the inside, so that they weren't really split because they crossed in the middle.

    ReplyDelete