Thursday, December 11, 2014

Emmett Reenactment, 2014

I have so long looked forward to this particular event! It was very enjoyable, and the weather was perfect. Here are a couple pictures of the reenactment...

Camille, learning how to make a super cute rag doll....

Someone never fails to get several photos of me playing graces at every single event...


My Grace's partner, Ruby


Camille, quilting.


One of my favorite parts of the event was watching Camille and Ruby play with the hoops and sticks (what is that called, anyway?). They looked just like they stepped out of a BBC drama! There are better pictures of them playing somewhere, I'll post those in a while.





I figured out how to use a treadle sewing machine, which was cool. It also was very eye-opening to the frustrations of not hand sewing. Using a treadle may sound like fun, but it actually is hard and I think if I actually had to use one, my toes would be broken and bruised from kicking the machine and using very unladylike language.....
The hardest part of the sewing machine is getting it to go forward. When you start pedaling (oh, you know what I mean - what is that word anyway?) on the treadle, the needle goes backwards. To switch it to forward, you use the wheel on the side to flip the gears. But turning the wheel as fast as you can while pedaling is REALLY frustrating. The worst part is you don't want to stop in the middle of a seam, because then you have to re-start on the whole turning-the-wheel process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment